XBMC 0utput on LCD-PI32

Topics that concern all LCD-PI shields. New drivers and images for Raspberry Pi will be released through this forum.

XBMC 0utput on LCD-PI32

Postby cristi jurca » Mon Jun 23, 2014 12:11 pm

Hi there, I've started for some time a home work project, and as the title say's I've stumbled on some issue.
I'm trying to use my raspberry as a Radio WiFi on my living room. I use Yatse from my Android phone as a remote control for XBMC , i bought the LCD thinking i could output the XBMC on it, but it's only outputting the OS . I just want to see XBMC to see what i'm doing with the remote application from my phone.

I've tried also OpenElec and Rasbmc with latest releases but there i can't see the screen powering up at all , i know i have to modify the kernel , but that a little too difficult for me.

Do you think i can use this HW configuration to output XBMC ?

thank you
Cristi.
cristi jurca

Re: XBMC 0utput on LCD-PI32

Postby strancara » Mon Jun 23, 2014 7:54 pm

If you can get xbmc working and LCD-PI powered up it should be possible. It looks like xbmc always draws to /dev/fb0 framebuffer. Try mirroring /dev/fb0 to /dev/fb1. Use the new LCD-PI driver (kernel 3.12.20+) since it uses DMA which should give better results - lower CPU usage. Framebuffer mirroring is described on https://github.com/notro/fbtft/wiki/Framebuffer-use.
strancara
Site Admin

Postby cristi jurca » Wed Jun 25, 2014 12:07 pm

Hi Andrei, thanks for your quick answer. So about my next questions, i just wanna avoid saying i'm noob, so here it goes:

i've installed Openelec, the lastest "OpenELEC-RPi.arm-4.0.5" uses kernel version 3.14.7 . i should update the kernel from hwlevel , version 3.10.32+ kernel with driver modules package ?

Also openelec has an option in OpenElec settings - Services - Driver ( enable LCD support) and you could select LCD/VFD driver (there is a list with many types of screens) , is there any change we can use that ?

I don't wanna use openelec or raspbmc, just want to output the xbmc to LCD-PI32 , i tried using "2014-01-07-wheezy-raspbian image with driver (kernel 3.10.32+)" but don't think i has xbmc on it , probably will have to install that also.

Can you please when you have the time advice how should i resolve my problem
Thank you so much
Cristi.
cristi jurca

Postby strancara » Thu Jun 26, 2014 4:13 pm

if you do not want to compile a custom kernel i guess the best option is to install raspbian, install the 3.12.20+ kernel with lcd-pi32 driver over it and then install xbmc: http://michael.gorven.za.net/raspberrypi/xbmc
strancara
Site Admin

Return to LCD-PI Common Topics